3/02/2007

Agents of intolerance


"I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate, John Edwards, but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word faggot, so..."
-- Ann Coulter at the Conservative Political Action Conference

The troubling thing to me is not the remark, because I think Ann Coulter is primarily an actor, but the applause that it generated among the conservative crowd. First there was some oohing and aahing, but sure enough, that evolved right into raucous support.

Here's the audio, sans audience reaction.

Consider that reaction. Consider the fact that Mitt Romney has to go to this conference and brag about his opposition to allowing gay couples from outside Massachusetts from going in and get married. The trend has becomes obvious. What was once a party of unobtrusive government, anti-communism, and low taxes is now openly supporting a bigoted agenda. Not merely that, it is a dealbreaker for many conservative voters. The fact that Romney runs on that position and not away from it is staggering. And the fact that a conservative crowd would go wild after someone just called John Edwards a "faggot" is disgusting.

Howard Dean is right: every Republican presidential candidate who spoke at CPAC must condemn these remarks. Not merely for the gay Americans who were no doubt appalled, but for the moderate, tolerant Republicans who no longer recognize their party.

4 comments:

Chris said...

She is the queen of ad hominem argument. She'll attack anyone for the applause.

I just don't understand how she's 1) popular and 2) considered political when her only method of "debate" is relying on very weak "comedy" attacking anything she sees as leftist.

Chris Girard said...

Chris,

I think it's clear why she is popular. She's outrageous and as you suggest will say anything for a reaction.

Again, I don't post about this because I think Coulter is a bigot. She may or may not be, though I tend to think she's an actress. I was more troubled by the applause, by people who were not acting.

And I happen to think Coulter's writings, at least her columns, are very funny. I envy her humor. Even her response to this was funny. She said, "Oh come on, it was a joke. I would never insult gays by comparing them to John Edwards."

Jeff Hudecek said...

I don't know, Pat. I somehow believe her when she claims that Joe McCarthy is her American hero... Plus come on, I've heard that comeback since 3rd grade.

Chris Girard said...

Jeff,

I think she is genuine about what she believes, but most definitely hams it up for attention. She just wrote that liberals believe in global warming because they literally hate humanity and want it to end. Yet she is apparently good friends with Bill Maher. She is an actress.

And I don't know what grade school you went to, but I'm sorry.