11/09/2006

Reacting to Change

A wonderful letter in this morning’s Globe. While her praise of Patrick is a little hyperbolic (I guess it is easy to be hyperbolic around election time – lord knows I am) I identify with what she says about the flag and about the GOP’s distortion of what it means to be a good American.


IS THIS my country again? Do I dare to hope?

As I walked up the hill to vote on a glorious New England fall morning, I saw a sign for the Healey-Hillman ticket. The house was also flying an American flag. I was struck by the realization that for the past six years, I have felt that my citizenship in this country had been usurped. No flag for me. Flying it meant support of George Bush, the war in Iraq, and a hate-mongering, demeaning, and demoralizing government that is supposed to be representing me around the world.

More than a year ago, I understood that I could no longer stomach what was happening. I called Deval Patrick headquarters, and for the first time in my 60 years I got active in politics. The more I watched, talked to, and listened to Patrick, the
more convinced I became that he was truly different. And I began to feel hope --
in my body, in the air.

On election night at the Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center, I celebrated with thousands of others. After more than 40 years in this state, I was part of a group that was truly integrated, black and white in equal numbers singing, joyful, brought together by a man whose life is a glowing example to all of us. We were given small flags , and I smiled. It was my flag and I waved it gratefully.

JANE ARSHAM
Arlington



And an encouraging word in a Globe editorial:

"Belated as it is, Rumsfeld's departure does have encouraging aspects . Above all, it suggests that the most imperial presidency of modern times can still be held accountable by the voters."

No comments: