2/21/2007

An amended position on Chris Dodd

In a recent online discussion with two friends about the Democratic contenders for the 2008 nomination, I ranked my choices of those officially in the running. Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd came in pretty low on that list, which admittedly had more to do with my knowing virtually nothing about him than with any actual objections to his politics.

However, a new John Nichols piece in The Nation shows that Dodd, while he "can't be mistaken for a front runner," is a serious candidate worth paying attention to. From the article:

"He has in recent days made the defense of the Constitution and the restoration of the rule of law central to his outreach to voters.

"One of the saddest days I've spent in public life, in the United States Senate, occurred last fall when the Senate of the United States passed the Military Commissions Act," Dodd says of the Bush-administration sponsored law that eliminates Habeas Corpus protections and retreats from traditional commitment of the U.S. to respect the Geneva Conventions.

"I want to see us get back [to being] a nation that supports the rule of law," argues the senator, who has proposed legislation that would restore Habeas Corpus protections to detainees, bar information acquired through torture from being introduced as evidence in trials, and limit presidential authority to interpret the meaning and application of the Geneva Conventions."

Amen. The current administration's contempt for the rule of law is one of its most deplorable traits. Even if Dodd's campaign is designed mostly to bring attention to the issue of presidential power, its a welcome one.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Unfortunately talking about the constitution will go over the heads of most people. I know I wish I knew law and the constitution better than my measly understanding of it. I'm glad you decided to give a little press time to someone who isn't Obama or Clinton. Dodd may still have a chance as a contender when people get sick of the hyped candidates.

By the way, isn't it crazy that the 2008 election is already the hottest story right now? The people we elected in 2006 are still warming their seats.

Chris Girard said...

Thanks Chris. I'm glad you consider me posting here to be "press time." As they say, lol.

I am equally disgusted by and, of course, drawn to the horse race media coverage. It's overblown, but its the way it is. We can only hope the coverage is fair, nuanced, and not too superficial.

Anonymous said...

Amen to your amen, Pat.

Dodd's an interesting fellow. I've always enjoyed his free trade skepticism, as well as the fact that he doesn't vote the straight party line (he voted for a couple GOP budgets, IIRC). And he has a good ACLU rating, which is reassuring these days.

Stil, he's pretty much a joke. I don't know if he'll even have the cash or support to stay in the thing too long.

Anonymous said...

Oh, but I forgot to mention that he SUCKS when it comes to immigration.

--Phil